Tuesday 6 December 2011

SIMPLE DOES AS SIMPLE SAYS

Or in other words ‘Keep it Simple Stupid’ (KISS)

A lot of businesses I visit seem to have a propensity towards making things more complex than they really are.
 
OK some things in our brave new world are without doubt complicated; but does everything need to be considered as such?

But, as they say ‘every journey starts with a first step’, and if interpret this/think in building industry terms ‘it’s just putting one brick on top of another’, isn’t it?

So why do so many people and organisations feel the need to complicate things beyond their true nature?

Well in an attempt to explain I remember that in a previous life I used to find myself doing ‘breakdown structures’; which is  a technique that a lot of project managers  use to get to the core of a complex issue, problem or project.

I didn’t really enjoy doing them so I now have a tendency to want to cut through the ‘technicality‘ of it  by engaging with client teams to establish such things as:

-why are we meeting?
-does anyone know what the real problem is?
-has anybody got a handle on things yet? etc

So, all my experience has taught me to at all times strive to keep things simple; to get to the point as quickly as possible, to things for what they really are and to appreciate that a good idea is a good idea regardless of who put it forward. I find that even the most sensitive of folk will appreciate the strength, quality and clarity of your thinking, approach and focus.

All time and other resources saved can be used to determine solutions and all necessary actions.

If you find it difficult to reason things out, see them in logical terms and be able to communicate your reasoning effectively then you know a man who can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment