Wednesday 22 June 2011

Choose a destination before you plan your route

I have just finished a very interesting conversation with a ‘Heritage Architect’.

I was trying to introduce one of my client’s services to him, when he decided to take control of our conversation in order to give me his take on why architectural detailers could never become design leaders!

He said “design concept or project strategy first; then sort the detail”.

It sounded logical to me.

So why do I find so many people wanting to talk about detail when we haven’t even agreed the direction of travel! I have to admit I don’t know.

Well, more importantly from my point of view, how does this help or influence construction business leaders?

It should remind us that in the first instance we need to focus our attention upon those key issues that really do need to be focused on!

In today’s challenging economy it is most likely to do with what does it take to survive the recession?

It’s about having a viable plan.

The danger during the planning phase is that we can get lost in the detail.

Keep your focus on the big issues and the detail will fall in place in due course.

If you need any help you know a man who can.

No comments:

Post a Comment