Wednesday 1 June 2011

Does your firm do something important?

During my first meeting with a partner of a large architectural practice, he said “I like to think that the work we do is special, has great meaning and has importance “. At first I thought that sounded rather pompous. But no, I soon realised he had meant every word. So I thought shouldn’t our roles and the services we provide have a similar relevance and value.

During our discussion we went onto discuss how his firms business was going, what challenges the practice faced and how successfully they were dealing with them. Then he said “you do appreciate we are now talking about my life’s work”. Surprise number two!

Having had two very strong reminders that this guy and his colleagues took their work very seriously I realised we were contemplating the development of a very meaningful Strategy/Business Development Plan that had to be perfect.

So how do you convey to potential clients and associates that your offer makes peoples lives better?
We took the view that their message had to be delivered essentially via the firms Brand.

We agreed to revisit the subject in a couple of weeks time after we had all had had an opportunity to review and consider.

He and his colleagues would work out what they stood for, why their work should be valued in the marketplace and what types of clients they wanted to work for; whilst I put together a check list that would guide our thinking in a structured way.

I am confident something really special will come out of it.

After all if you have to work for a living, why not make your work something that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment