Thursday 22 September 2011

Eureka Moments



They come in all sorts of different forms, from a myriad of stimuli and mostly at times when we least expect them.

Take laughter, what causes it or brings it on differs as much as the cause or subject matter.

But what about ideas or inspirational thoughts?

They usually come forward without any form of notice.

Most of my own ‘gems’ come to me whilst I am asleep. I don’t really know why but I suspect it is something to do with the fact that a number of experiences, thoughts or inclinations come together all at once.

As a consequence they often lead to ideas, concepts or hunches as to how to move forward.

When they happen what should we do?

I believe in most instances we tend to let them pass us by and thus take no benefit from them.

Most of our more powerful ideas and concepts come to us vicariously; remember the story of how Face book came about.

By the way, as I write this I am actually overlooking a magnificent beach scene at Camp de Mar, Majorca, Spain.

The view is stunning. I’m drinking a cold beer, others are eating Paella and people on the beach are enjoying their time off and are having a great time.

So why am I writing this?

Because, I have just had a fantastic idea to help one of my clients. He’s currently trying to break into a new region of the country as a Principal Contractor and that’s a BIG challenge.

He, and more importantly, his firm are unknown to the local construction community. So obviously there is zero local knowledge of their capabilities, no good will or trust
out there for him.

So, what is my great idea?

Well I think we should find an organisation that already service the kinds of people and organisations he needs to engage with.

In marketing parlance we could call this establishing a ‘Host Beneficiary’ arrangement.

But who is currently supplying my client’s ideal clients?

Is it architects, cost managers, structural engineers, property lawyers, accountants, bankers or even suppliers of products e.g. a BIM software or
planning report information.

Regardless of who it might ultimately be, if one can be secured and they are able to introduce my client to their clients, a potential win-win situation
can be achieved from the alliance.

I will probably recommend that my client joins forces with a large regionally based multi disciplinary design practice to deliver a set of CSR (Corporate
Social Responsibility) initiatives to local schools and colleges.

These normally take the form of workshops to introduce young people to the construction industry and too its many career options.

By co-funding and delivering such an initiative it will help to put my client at the centre of the regions more progressive community and will introduce them to their
‘Host’s’ clients, which will help raise their profile and standing.  Thus allowing them to claim to be an active member of the local business community.

I can imagine a great deal of goodwill will come their way as a consequence.

If you need a breakthrough idea, you know a man who can deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment